First Congregational Church of Williamstown
Community Outreach Organizer
The First Congregational Church of Williamstown is a lively, progressive congregation active from our earliest days to the present speaking out for the oppressed in our society. Converting faith into action is a central theme of the outreach efforts at First Church today. To help address the pressing social justice needs of the Berkshires and beyond, we are eager to grow our efforts through deepened partnership and advocacy.
First Church therefore seeks an energetic and collaborative professional with organizing and faith-based experience to serve as Community Outreach Organizer. Working closely with the Pastor and members of the church’s Outreach Ministry Team, the Outreach Organizer will help to expand the reach of First Church and its beliefs of justice, inclusion, and equality into the community. They will help build positive and constructive working relationships with other northern Berkshire faith communities and community partners with the goal of carrying out actions and lifting voices in support of shared values of justice, mutual respect, compassion, truth, and universal human rights.
- Help strengthen existing relationships and build new ones between and among First Church, the Northern Berkshire interfaith community, and community partners.
- Promote better understanding among partners of our common values and beliefs and document aligned work on social justice issues that is underway or in planning.
- Identify and select three initiatives in the areas of social justice on which interfaith and community partners wish to have greater impact, which initiatives involve families and people of all ages.
- In close relationship with the Pastor, the Outreach Mission team and the interfaith community, lead the collaborative design of actions and initiatives aligned with our faith-based mission that draw in community members of all ages with a shared sense of purpose.
- Organize and manage specific events and engagement opportunities that strengthen participants’ commitment to the initiatives and highlight the faith community’s role in the struggle for justice and compassion in our country.
- Promote activities and share outcomes with the community at large in order to share the faith communities’ commitment to this outreach work.
Qualities & Attributes Sought
- Organizing experience
- College degree preferred
- Faith-based experience
- Cultural diversity experience
- Outgoing personality
- Organizational skills
- Knowledge of the Northern Berkshire Community
- Preferably Spanish speaking
First Church is an equal opportunity employer.
Hours & Office
This is a part-time position. Hours in any given day or week will be very flexible given the activity in any given day or week, but the work overall would be for a maximum of 80 hours a month. While office space will be provided as needed, it is expected that most of the Outreach Organizer’s work will be done from home or at the organizing locations, using their own equipment and transportation and setting their own hours. The Organizer is required to keep a time sheet showing their hours worked and tasks accomplished. The Organizer will be subject to the Church’s personnel policy.
The Outreach Organizer will report to the Pastor and a representative of the Church Outreach team. The Organizer will be expected to prepare a summary report of activities each week and meet with the Pastor and/or Outreach representative once a week.
Annual compensation will be between $ 15,000-20,000, depending on candidate experience. This is a one-year term position with the possibility of continuing for additional years.
Applications & Inquiries
To apply, please send a current resume and a cover letter describing your interest in the position by email at email@example.com or by mail at First Congregational Church, Attn: Terry Plumb-Clark, 906 Main Street, Williamstown, MA 01267.
All candidates for employment will be subject to background and reference checks.
Please direct all inquiries about the position to the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-458-4273.
Review of applications will begin immediately.