As many are aware, we are planning for a new kitchen, which will enhance our ability to serve people in need and to partner with the community through hospitality. Inspired by the example of beloved members Mary Flynt and Arletta Currie, our active congregation members use the kitchen as an important part of the hospitality of our church.
The improvements that are planned include:
- Reconfigured space for efficiency
- New refrigeration and convection oven, energy star rated commercial grade
- New dishwasher with hotter water for sanitizing.
- New garbage disposal
- New hood and fire suppression system
- New cabinets and counter tops
- New, more easily accessible storage for plates/glasses, etc.
- New sinks and dishwashing line
- Repair of roof leak
As those of you who have done home renovations know from experience, such a major project will involve expertise, time and expense. We have engaged our reliable contractor, Patrick’s Quality, to carry out this task and anticipate that the work will be done in October. That schedule will call for flexibility on our part and adjustment in some of our practices. As our timetable becomes more precise, we will keep the congregation apprised of scheduling and adjustments in planning events that would normally use the kitchen.
Thanks to the generosity of those who have given to the capital campaign, we expect that kitchen project will be followed by other projects, such as improvements with energy efficiency and functioning of the systems in the Sanctuary, which we hope will eventually be repainted.