First Church Williamstown has a covenant with Northern Berkshire Habitat for Humanity (see text below).They will be breaking ground shortly on the first of four new affordable homes to be built in Williamstown. A young woman recently wrote in her college application essay about her family’s experience receiving a Northern Berkshire Habitat For Humanity home when she was younger and gave permission to share it here.
Read the excerpt here: NBHfH College Essay Excerpt
COVENANT WITH NORTHERN BERKSHIRE HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
(First voted by the congregation on October 4, 1992, Revised January 23, 2011. Most recently renewed on February 3, 2019)
First Congregational Church, Williamstown, MA, covenants with Northern Berkshire Habitat for Humanity (NBHfH) to commit financial and human resources in the following ways:
- Praying for the ministry of Habitat for Humanity;
- Providing financial support for NBHfH;
- Organizing volunteers and individuals to help build homes and carry out additional tasks in support of NBHfH.
- Designating an individual to actively serve as Liaison with NBHfH each year.
- The Liaison will:
- Encourage others to serve as volunteers for NBHfH.
- Actively seek to inform members of the congregation about NBHfH’s projects and needs. Seek to develop ways in which the church can support those projects and needs.
- Attend appropriate meetings of NBHfH as representative of the church.
- Inform NBHfH of possibilities and deadlines for applications for possible church funding.
- Advocate for NBHfH with church leaders.
- Keep informed about the activities of World Wide Habitat for Humanity.
- Report to the Outreach Ministry Team of the Church.
This covenant is in effect for one year and will be considered in good faith for renewal at the end of that time.